Thursday, 28 January 2010

Freudian slip(pers)


I went the the Sigmund Freud house with my new practices company (Company C, for now) today.  It really is amazing to be able to walk into a house, and experience the personal space of someone so recognized.  Whether you agree with Freud or not, it is still something to stand in his study and be absolutely surrounded by his belongings.  The infamous couch was there.  His desk chair (which looked a bit like a medieval torture device to me) was there and turned in such a way that I could envision him sitting there, welcoming his next patient in.  Quite an extraordinary feeling, especially when I was able to be alone in the space for a moment, with it quiet.  It was almost a feeling of being somewhere sacred.  Could it be the fascination with books that I have had since childhood, reminding me of my academic mother?  Or even more of reminding me of a wall of books at my grandparent's house?  It was worth the trip, for the visual memories, the intellectual learning, and the emotional research into myself.


As with all of these sorts of places, there is always a gift shop involved.  I often wonder how these icons would react to their likenesses being used for the design of finger puppets, magnets, postcards, coffee mugs, and yes, even Freudian slippers.  There is something to be said for selling such merchandise if it goes back into keeping these museums running...but slippers?

No comments:

Post a Comment