Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Being Moody

So, we were assigned to work on mood boards. Basically, we need to come up with 5 story lines for a body in the installation, and use images to convey the ideas. The five ideas are:
1. 3 bodies emerge one at a time from behind the installation "screen" with their heads and torsos wrapped in paper
2. shadow play and openings for limbs to appear through the "screen" and the performer plays with elements of the "screen" from behind, but is never seen fully
3. emergence from the material in front of the "screen" and the performer uses the paper to build up more of the "screen"
4. make the angle of the "screen" convex to create two separate playing areas, using the projected images to create the actual spaces, 2 performers
5. the performer starts built into the "screen" and emerges from it, could call this one 'playing with camouflage'

I'm very excited to try these out. After seeing some performance art examples, I've been starting to think about where to situate this piece in the greater realm of art. I keep referring to it as an installation, but I feel as though it is becoming something different, possibly more than that, since we now have a live body as a part of it. Would it be correct to call this performance art? I don't know if it's correct, but I'm not inclined to place it with these other examples that we've seen. Must keep pondering the question, and, maybe, it won't ever have a satisfactory answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment