I cannot, with all my heart, believe that we just accomplished that performance.
We had 2 days in the site, only about 6 hours total of rehearsal time in the cemetery, before we had an official audience. Everyone is to be commended on all the hard work. We could not have done this with any other group of people. Not only was it site-specific, it was cast specific as well. They all brought everything they could into this crazy, short rehearsal process.
It's difficult for me to speak from a director's point of view, and I know Liz feels this as well, because we never saw the show. Because we both had to perform in it, we were never able to see it in its entirety in the site. We did have someone videotaping for us, but we have yet to receive it. The only way we know it went well is by how we felt, and also the overwhelmingly positive remarks and feedback from those who saw it.
I'm so glad that this all worked out. The day I found out we had lost the Prospect Cemetery site, I didn't know what we were going to do. I'm glad we found the connection that led us to Maple Grove Cemetery, and Carl and Bonnie couldn't have been nicer about working with us and our impending schedule.
Doing that performance changed me in so many different ways, but one moment I will specifically remember is the night of the actual performance, as I was hiding/waiting for my second scene, and I had a moment of realization of where I was. At that moment, there was a different energy. I think Carl was right when he said we had an audience of 80,000 that night. And I think they were pleased.
No comments:
Post a Comment