Monday, 15 February 2010

Defining my practice

As a part of this year of study, I have been asked many times about what I think my practice is.  I find this is a very difficult question to answer, because my practice, up until this point, has involved more things than I would ideally like it to.  I have never really wanted to be a TD full time, or a set designer, or even a stage manager.  I really have just wanted to design lighting.  What I am realizing more and more as I go on, is that I think I want my practice to be is aa lighting designer, but one who works in a smaller theatre, where I could get my hands a little dirty with electrics work as well as the artistic design work.
Through the process of devising with my company, I am realizing that I do like working on pieces of theatre that are scripted.  However,  what I have to keep in my head is that this year is about exploration and pushing myself and my practice in ways I may not have thought about before.  I have now been introduced to projections, and the possibility as using them as lighting sources as a part of a lighting design is a new idea to experiment and play with.  However, as always, I am a proponent of making sure there is a reason behind using an instrument, instead of just using it because it's there.
The definition of my practice is constantly shifting....

No comments:

Post a Comment